Friday, January 20, 2012

Roadblocks

ROADBLOCK: 1.)A barricade or obstruction across a road set up to prevent the escape or passage, 2.)Something, such as a situation or condition, that prevents further progress toward an accomplishment.


I have recently come across a roadblock in my journey. I am pretty sure I have shin splints, which are very painful. It can occur when one goes from a non-active lifestyle to being active. It is almost as if your muscles go into shock, they tear and swell. A lot of athletes get them also, even though they are very active. It is preventing me from performing exactly how I want to. I was very disgusted yesterday, when I could only do 10 minutes on the treadmill. I finally just had to stop and come home, I was in so much pain. It never occurred to me, to just stop and assess the situation, this roadblock in my path. See the great thing about Roadblocks is, there is always a way around them, or sometimes to even remove them completely.

As I walked to the gym today, I was already nervous thinking that I might fail at my workout again! When I got on the treadmill, I decided to start slow and slowly push myself. This way I could see what triggered the pain the most. The faster I went, the more my legs began to throb. The incline was excruciating! I decided to take the incline to 0, and found a comfy pace at 3.0mph. It wasn't the ideal speed I wanted to go, but it is what I had to do to get around that roadblock! I was even able to go a little bit longer than normal at that speed to make up for some calories and mileage. I came home with the satisfaction of knowing that even though I had to do things differently, I was able to finish.

My whole point in this is to tell you not to give up! We all will encounter a roadblock or two, at one time or another. We will all struggle with different things. Don't give up if something not so ideal comes your way or falls in your path. Take a step back, look and reassess your situation. With patience you will surely find your way out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment